Monday, February 10, 2014

Slow Down the Time

Today schools had a 2 hour delay.  I took advantage of it and decided to help my daughter make her Valentine's Day Box.  

I hope I'm not alone in this, but sometimes when we think its the best time to do the given task . . . it really isn't the best time because they're not ready.  Well, there I was trying so hard to convince my daughter Zoe into coming over to do the box when she finally said "I can't do it, just do it for me."

So while she's sitting on the couch watching a Barbie movie, I think to myself "Shelly this is the only time this week you are going to have the time to get this box taken care of.  You have school work to do, assessments to do, speech therapy for the little guy, and this and that and then this other thing before you do that other thing . . . I hope I'm not alone here.  :)

Needless to say, I decided to just do it and get it over with.  Then when I finished and I brought my "Masterpiece" to her to share she said to me "Oh that's it, I can do that."  Do you have any idea how much I wanted to say back to her "Oh really Zoe, you think you can do better than this. Well then go ahead and try."  BUT I didn't.  I realized, it wasn't that she didn't want to make the box (because my daughter LOVES anything with a glue stick, construction paper, and markers!), its that she wasn't ready because she wasn't finished with the first thing she was doing.

How often do you we do this?  Rush our kids into doing something because its "the only time" we have to do it.  With all this snow, and ice, and freezing temperatures; I think we've been reminded a bit to slow life down and enjoy doing the crafts and spending the time (when they're ready) for something awesome!  Turn off your cell phone, put the technology aside and just enjoy making a wonderful Valentine box with your little one.  You will treasure the moments!  I promise.

By the way, she TOTALLY NAILED IT!  You totally can't tell which one I made and which one she did.



No comments:

Post a Comment